The etiology of why a child is a picky eater has a direct impact on the approach that a clinician will primarily utilize while treating that client for picky eating and expansion of repertoire. While sometimes the strategies overlap, other times they differ. Heidi Miller will be exploring clients with a history of picky eating and varying comorbidities including: underlying OMDs, ASD, medical involvement, and ARFID. Heidi will demonstrate the therapeutic treatment strategies that she has found to be the most successful with each of the aforementioned populations. She will also share some aspects of her HMS Feeding Therapy Protocol for Expansion of Repertoire and how it relates to some of these populations.
- Participants will be able to list at least 3 therapeutic strategies to use with the picky eater population.
- Participants will be able to identify which therapy strategy the client will most likely respond to based on history.
- Participants will be able to list identify the basic components of the HMS Feeding Protocol.
- 05 minutes Introduction/ Overview
- 15 minutes Reviewing each category and “meeting client” – video demos
- 15 minutes Strategies for OMD
- 15 minutes Strategies for ASD
- 15 minutes Strategies for Medically Involved
- 20 minutes Strategies for ARFID
- 20 minutes HMS feeding protocol – helpful aspects for all picky feeders
- 15 minutes Q&A