Verbal communication is so essential for humans – and when we have a nonverbal client on the autism spectrum, we need to reach into our collective therapy toolboxes to equip these individuals with basic communication skills.
TalkTools Instructor, Risca Solomon, will discuss the unique communication challenges clients with ASD may present, her top 5 strategies for breaking through the communication wall that have worked in her therapy practice, as well as other proven approaches. As a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Risca will demonstrate ABA practices and oral-placement techniques. Nonverbal-to-Verbal Roadmap will be outlined.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify early red flags when assessing verbal skills in pediatric clients
- Assess appropriate strategies based on clients’ diagnosis and behaviors
- Apply 3 intervention strategies in a therapy setting
- 10 Minutes: Introduction
- 20 Minutes: ASD Communication Disorders
- 30 Minutes: ABA Techniques and Demonstrations
- 30 Minutes: Oral-Motor Techniques and Demonstrations
- 30 Minutes: Non-verbal to Verbal Roadmap