This course is currently closed
TalkTools Instructor, Monica Purdy, will be presenting strategies for implementing a chewing plan for clients who have not mastered this skill, looking at what happens during both a typical chewing event and a disordered one.
Participants will learn how to conduct a differential diagnosis to determine if sensory issues and/or motor deficits are impacting mastication. Techniques to facilitate transitioning to solids, as well as strategies to go from a vertical chew to a rotary chew will be discussed. Mastering Mastication Checklist for families will also be presented.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify typical chewing patterns vs. disordered chewing patterns
- Conduct a differential diagnosis to determine sensory and/or motor deficits affecting mastication
- Apply techniques to incorporate solid foods
- Apply 2 strategies to facilitate transition from vertical to rotary chew
- 30 minutes Identifying chewing patterns
- 60 minutes Differential Diagnosis: What is Impacting Mastication?
- 30 minutes Transitioning to solids
- 30 minutes Transitioning from vertical to rotary chew
- 15 Minutes Mastering Mastication Checklist
- 15 minutes Wrap-up & FAQ
30 Sep 20